Practical Strategies to Increase Board Diversity
|OnDemand Webinar||$149||Add to Cart|
Gain a better understanding the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and what they mean and may add to an organization.Many nonprofit leaders state that diversity is important to their organizations, but all too often they do not prioritize or act on these words. Nonprofit boards are generally no more diverse than they were 20 years ago with a recent survey finding that 90 percent of CEOs and board chairs and 84 percent of board members were white. Recent movements like Black Lives Matter and #MeToo, catalyzed by a growing intolerance of longstanding inequities, have heightened the need for many nonprofits to identify and prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion as organizational values. But nonprofit boards looking for quick solutions often fall into the trap of tokenism and fail to reap the true benefits that can be gained by diverse leadership. The information also explains how nonprofits can embed DEI as core organizational values in creating a more diverse board and inclusive culture. Adding diversity without appropriate intent or strategy can result in tokenism and damage an organization's culture and reputation. This content offers critical advice for nonprofits so they can develop practical strategies to increase board diversity in the right ways and for the right reasons.
AuthorsGene Takagi, NEO Law Group Vernetta Walker, Vernetta Walker & Associates Consulting
How to Define Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion ("DEI") and Embed DEI Values in an Organization
• How Are Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Defined and Why Is It Important for Nonprofit Leaders to Consider These Values Together?
• What Is the General State of Diversity on Nonprofit Boards?
• How Do Nonprofit Leaders Make the Case for Identifying DEI as Core Organizational Values or an Integral Part of the Mission?
How to Practically Increase Board Diversity in an Inclusive Manner
• What Lessons Can We Learn From Surveys of Board Members of Color?
• What Are Three Strategies to Assist Boards in Embracing and Integrating Diversity and an Inclusive Environment?
What Policies and Legal Mechanisms Can Be Used to Promote a More Diverse Board and Inclusive Culture
• Do Board Members Have a Fiduciary Duty to Promote a More Diverse Board and Inclusive Culture?
• How Can DEI Values Be Expressed in the Selection of Board Members and the Overall Board Composition?
• How Can DEI Values Influence the Way the Board Makes Decisions, Exercises Oversight, and Plans for the Future?